During the installation of the game or software that works with graphics, the delivery kit includes an optional DirectX installer. What is this component? What is it needed for? How to install it? Tell about it more in this article.
Why do you need DirectX?
The product is a variety of libraries for software development that works with graphics. Mainly actively used in games to improve graphics. A kind of "catalyst" video to use all the resources of the video card.
Software developed by Microsoft. The first version appeared in September 1995. At that time, the corporation planned the release of Windows 95 system, which would have a memory protection function. Accordingly, the development of games was conducted on the DOS platform - as it turned to the keyboard, the mouse and other devices directly through the OS.
To make Windows in demand, the company created DirectX and released it together with the release of a new operating system. The following versions came out with new versions of Windows.
How to install DirectX
Starting with DirectX 10, the product is part of the OS. For example, Windows 10 comes with a pre-installed twelfth version. But regularly overlook on OS, some of which contain a new version of DirectX.
If it is necessary to establish the current version separately, we will use the following methods.
Through the official website
- Choose the language - "Russian", click "Download". Indicate the path to save the file, then run it.
- We accept the license agreement, click "Next". The following window will appear on the monitor. Remove the checkbox from the "Bing Panel Installation".
- The installer will connect to the server and check the presence of topical versions. If they are present, then the appropriate inscription will appear. We agree to download update files, and then expect the installation end.
When the process is completed, the appropriate inscription will appear on the screen.
Important! In rare exceptions, it may be necessary to restart the workstation.
Alternative option - upload a full package to a local disk and install from it.
- Click "Download", specify the path to download the file. Downloading will take 2-4 minutes depending on the speed of the Internet.
- Go to the saved file, run it. Next, perform steps as in the previous section.
Remarks from the author of the article: Why do I need offline installer when you can download via the Internet? Everything is very simple. Suppose you have an unstable communication channel: Used 3 / 4G modem in a remote area. Accordingly, sometimes the connection may disappear or the download speed decreases. See also: How to see the speed of the Internet in Windows 10 .
In such situations, retaining the pre-distribution of the program, we launch it on the PC. The wizard will establish a relevant version of DirectX without connecting to the Internet.
How to update DirectX
To update software, we use the standard tools for updating the operating system.
- Open the "Control Panel" by clicking "Start" and selecting "Parameters", as indicated in the screenshot below.
- Select "Update and Security".
- A new workspace will open. By default, the operating system automatically checks the availability of updates and reports the result to the user. To start the scan manually, click "Checking the availability of updates".
- If the wizard detects the current version, automatic load will begin with subsequent installation. The process will take 5-10 minutes, after which the computer must be restarted.
What problems can be encountered when installing?
During the installation or update, the user may have unexpected errors. Consider the most typical and tell me how to solve them.
Each DirectX version is compatible only with a specific version of the operating system. Suppose the user has Windows tenth version, and he decided to start a 10-year-old game, which includes the installation of the additional software - DirectX 10. During the installation of the installer, an error of the following is displayed on the user screen.
Below is Windows Compatibility Table with the DirectX component in the form of a screenshot.
It is also necessary to check the compatibility of the video card with the component. As a rule, most video adapters support the latest versions. Information is located on the official website of Vendor. As an example, take NVIDIA GFORCE GTX950.
Link to the official website: https://www.nvidia.com/ru-ru/geforce/
On the page, go to the "Specifications" tab, look at the section "Features".
As can be seen from the matrix, the video adapter is compatible with the twelfth version of the component.
Another common problem: an internal system error during installation.
Its appearance means that there are no local administrator rights on the installation of DirectX. Now let's tell you how to fix the situation.
- Press the right mouse button on the "Start". Select the item as shown in the screenshot below.
Opinion of the author of the article: The command line is a powerful tool that is not demanding to the resources of the operating system. It has built-in help desk for all available commands. Called through Help syntax. Most operations are performed only with the rights of the local administrator.
- The command line will be launched with the rights of the local administrator. We recruit CHKDSK C: / F / R, press ENTER. The command starts checking the disk file system for errors. If it is located - automatically corrects errors.
Important! The CHKDSK program checks the system disk until it booted with the operating system.
- After starting, the screen displays information that the system disk check cannot be performed in the current situation. The utility will offer to check the next time you start Windows. We agree and restart the computer.
The opening time of CHKDSK depends on the condition of the hard disk and the presence of errors. In most cases, the procedure takes only 10-20 minutes.
- The next step again, open the command line with the administrator rights and enter SFC / SCANNOW.
- It checks the operating system and corrects errors. According to the result, a file for subsequent analysis is formed. After the inspection is completed, reboot your computer.
- We now turn to the installation of DirectX. Click on the Right-click distribution, select the "Startup with Administrator Rights" item.
Important! It is understood that the user downloaded the installation file to the local disk. This is told in the "How to install".
- After all actions, software should be installed without errors.
Problem with video card drivers
Another error that manifests itself during the installation of DirectX is a problem with video adapter drivers.
As already mentioned in the "Compatibility Problem" section, you must first check the requirements of the video card to the software. If the conditions are executed, but the error remains, then updating the video card driver. See also: How to update drivers on windows 10 .
Important! As an example, consider NVIDIA GFORCE GTX950.
- Come on the link to the official website of the vendor:
- Expose the characteristics of the video adapter.
- Click "Search". A new page opens with the "Download Now" button. The user specifies the path to save the distribution, and then expects the end of the software package.
- The driver comes as a file in EXE format. After startup, it unpacks the source files on the system disk to the "C: \ NVIDIA" folder and automatically starts the installation wizard. Follow the prompts and wait for 5-8 minutes.
Important! During installation, the screen will flash several times, the permission will change to the minimum, and then restores the usual. This means that the installer deleted the old version and launched the installation of the new one.
- After installation, restart the computer so that the OS launches new drivers.
The author's opinion of the article: I constantly come across NVIDIA video cards, and I can add the following from myself. Sometimes you have to turn off antivirus solutions and the Internet. Such cases are extremely rare, but they are. But usually after the Internet has turned off, the installation is successful.
Occasionally a window appears with the following message.
It arises due to the conflict between the computer's operational memory and the DIRECT X components. Fixed as follows.
- Click "Start", go to the Turn off the computer. Click the SHIFT key and select "Reboot".
- The computer will restart with the choice of further Windows boot. Select the option as shown in the screenshot below.
Windows will boot in safe mode.
Note Author Articles: Safe Mode is an option in which the minimum set of drivers and system services is launched. It is used to diagnose the operating system, removing viruses, correct errors and other similar actions. In our case, we reduce the likelihood of a "critical" error to zero.
- Run the Distribution Distx and install it. In most cases, the installation is successful. Restart the computer. After downloading Windows - re-install Direct X.
How to remove DirectX?
If it suddenly needed to delete DirectX manually, it will not work with standard tools. Consider several options for uninstall utilities.
The utility extends to the Freeware license, that is, free. There is no official site to download the network, so you should use the search (Yandex or Google) and download from any convenient site.
The size of the program is 900 KB. It deletes files related to Direct X, and records in the registry. After startup, a dialog box opens.
- Go to the "Basic Menu" tab, item "Scan". The utility issues the result in the form of a line with the path to the file.
- Allocate all the lines, activate "Delete".
- Reboot your computer and set the current version.
DirectX Happy Uninstall
The product is delivered conditionally free. Additional information is available on the official website. Link to download: http://www.superfoxs.com/downLoad.html.
The program is loaded as an archive in ZIP format. Unpack it, run the installer. We follow the prompts, and within two minutes it will be installed on the PC.
The main window displays information about the current version of DirectX, and the automatic update feature is available.
Important! Some features are available only on a fee. The license cost is $ 19.95. Click on the "Basket" icon in the lower right corner to purchase a license.
The program has an important option - creating a backup. It allows you to return to the previous state if further steps led to errors. Click Backup to open a new window.
To create a copy, the Start Backup button is used. Activating it and expect the end of the process.
The Restore feature is used to recover data from a backup.
Click Next, select the required backup date from the list, then Next. The procedure will take 3-4 minutes.
Another feature of the utility is the rollback of recent actions.
In case of errors or the problems of the operating system after installing DirectX, use the rollback function. It cancels the latest user actions and returns the component to the previous stable state.
Important! Function "Rollback", "Installation / Uninstall" are available only in a paid version.
Install and Uninstall option is an installation and removal by respectively. The user clicks Uninstall and expects until the program deletes all registry files and records. After the completion of the procedure, the computer must be restarted.
The Buy / Help item opens access to the logic key and reference information.
I hope that this article helped you install the desired version of DirectX or correct system errors associated with this component.
Material author: Ilya Podgornov
Subscribe to our channel And put the husky! And you can visit our official site .
By default, the DirectX component library is already built into Windows operating system 10. Depending on the type of graphics adapter, version 11 or 12 will be installed. However, sometimes users face problems in file data, especially when trying to play a computer game. In this case, it will be necessary to reinstall the directories, which will be discussed.
READ ALSO: What is DirectX and how it works
Re-install DirectX components in Windows 10
Before moving to the immediate reinstall, I would like to note that it is possible to do without it, if the latest version of DirectX is installed on the computer. It is enough to have an update, after which all programs should work fine. First we recommend determine which version of the components is on your PC. Deployed instructions on this topic are looking for in another our material on the following link.
Read more: Learning the DirectX version
If you have found an outdated version, you can perform its upgrade through the Windows Update Center, following the preliminary search and installation of the fresh version. A detailed guide on how to carry out this, you will find in a separate article Next.
Read more: Update Windows 10 to the latest version
Now we want to demonstrate how to be if the correct DirectX assembly functions incorrectly on a computer running Windows Windows 10. We divide the entire process to steps to be more convenient to deal with everything.
Step 1: System Preparation
Since the desired component is an integrated part of the OS, it will not be able to uninstall it - it is necessary to seek help to third-party software. Since such software uses system files, you will need to disable the protection to avoid conflict situations. This task is carried out like this:
- Open "Start" And with the search, find the section "System" .
- Pay attention to the panel on the left. Here click on "System Protection" .
- Move into the tab "System Protection" and click on the button "Tune" .
- Mark the marker "Disable system protection" and apply changes.
Congratulations, you have successfully disconnected the cancellation of unwanted changes, so further when removing DireCTX should not have any difficulties.
Step 2: Delete or Restore DirectX Files
Today we will use a special program called DirectX Happy Uninstall. It not only allows you to erase the main files of the library under consideration, but also conducts them to restore what can help avoid reinstalling. Work in this software is as follows:
Download DirectX HAPPY Uninstall program
- Use the above link to go to the DIRECTX HAPPY Uninstall site. Download the program by clicking on the appropriate inscription.
- Open the archive and open the executable file there, after that, then make a simple installation of software and run it.
- In the main window, you will see information about DirectX and buttons that run the built-in tools.
- Move into the tab "Backup" And create a backup directory to restore it in case of unsigned uninstallation.
- Tool "ROLLBACK" Located in the section of the same name, and its opening allows you to correct errors that occur with the built-in component. Therefore, we first recommend running this procedure. If she helped solve the problem with the functioning of the library, no further actions do not need.
- If the problems remained, make deletion, however, carefully read the warnings displayed in the tab that opens.
We want to note that DirectX Happy Uninstall removes not all files, but only the main part of them. Important elements still remain on the computer, but this will not prevent self-installing of missing data.
Step 3: Installing the missing files
As mentioned above, DirectX is the built-in component of Windows 10, so its new version is installed with all other updates, and the autonomous installer is not provided. However, there is a small utility called "DirectX executable web installer for end user" . If you open it, it will automatically hold the OS scan and add missing libraries. Download and open it like this:
DirectX executable web installer for end user
- Go to the Installer's download page, select Appropriate Language and click on "Download" .
- Refuse or accept additional software recommendations and continue the download.
- Open the downloaded installer.
- Accept the license agreement and click on "Further" .
- Expect the initialization completion and subsequent addition of new files.
At the end of the process, restart the computer. On this, all errors with the work of the component under consideration should be corrected. Perform a recovery through the used software if the OS operation was broken after uninstalling files, it will return everything to the original state. After that, activate the system's protection again, as described in step 1.
Adding and enable old DirectX libraries
Some users are trying to run on windows 10 old games and face the lack of libraries included in the old version of DirectX, in view of the fact that new versions do not provide for some of them. In this case, if you want to establish the application of the application, you will need to make a small manipulation. First you need to enable one of the Windows components. To do this, follow the instructions:
- Go to "Control Panel" through "Start" .
- Lay there section "Programs and Components" .
- Click on the link "Enable or disable Windows Components" .
- Find the directory in the list "LEGACY COMPONENTS" And tick the marker "DirectPlay" .
Next, you will need to download the missing libraries from the official site, and for this, follow these actions:
DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
- Go to the above link and download the latest version of the offline installer by clicking on the appropriate button.
- Run the downloaded file and confirm the license agreement.
- Select a place where all components and executable file will be placed for their further installation. We recommend creating a separate folder, for example, on the desktop where unpacking will occur.
- After the unpacking is completed, go to the previously selected place and run the executable file.
- In the window that opens, follow a simple installation procedure.
All new files added in this way will be saved in the folder. "System32" what is in the system directory "Windows" . Now you can safely run old computer games - the support of the necessary libraries will be enabled for them.
On this, our article comes to an end. Today we tried to present the most detailed and understandable information regarding reinstalling DirectX on computers with Windows 10. In addition, we disassembled a solution to missing files. We hope we helped to correct the difficulties arising and you no longer have questions on this topic.
See also: Set up DirectX components in WindowsWe are glad that you could help you solve the problem.
Describe what you did not work. Our specialists will try to answer as quickly as possible.
Will this article help you?WELL NO
Without the direct directorh, modern games and even some programs will not be launched on the computer. As many know, it has several versions. And you can not always install the last one. There are two types of restrictions: software and hardware. The first are associated with the compatibility of the library and the OS. And the second - with the technical characteristics of the video adapter. We'll figure it out why you can not download DirectX 10 for Windows 10.
|Recommended! InstallPack||Standard installer|
|Official Distribution DirectX|
|Silent installation without dialog boxes|
|Recommendations for installing the necessary programs|
|Batch installation of several programs|
DirectX-For-PC.ru recommends InstallPack, you can quickly install programs on your computer, more on the site.
This situation is related to the program restrictions. The "dozen" is the newest version of the OS from Microsoft at the moment, and the manufacturer offers the best solutions for it. And the directors in this case are available in versions with numbers 11 and 12. But dozen even manually put it out.
But it is not necessary to worry if this component is needed to run any application. If you set it a newer variation, then everything will work. This is associated with backward compatibility.
Direct X 10 download for windows 10 with all subsequent versions of the library will be released through Web installer . Download the appropriate file on our website and immediately run. On the first page you will be offered to familiarize yourself with the license agreement, just accept it. In a new window, remove the allocation from the only point so that the system does not appear in the system. And then just click on the confirmation button until the installation is over.
Solution of problems
With Windows 10 and DirectX 10, everything is clear. But in some cases, when you start a web installer, an error will occur. It looks like the same way as shown in the image, but other options are also possible. In this case, resort to our instructions:
- Restart windows.
- Go to the folder with downloads.
- Click on the downloaded PCM file.
- Press "Run from ..." .
Windows operating system is a complex information microarchitecture, which is a set of a huge number of interrelated applications, services, processes and data packets. The combination of all these components must ensure the correct operation of a personal computer. An important role in this is given to a package of applied graphic via DirectX.
DirectX is a set of libraries for programming applications associated with computer graphics, in particular, computer games. It was developed by Microsoft Corporation and consists of the following main components:
- DirectSetup: responsible for the correct installation of the entire set;
- DirectX Graphics: Interface package for 2D and 3D graphics;
- DirectInput: Feedback support interface between OS and input tools (keyboard, mouse, controller);
- DirectPlay: responsible for gaming and network communication;
- DirectSound / Music: interface processing and output sounds and music;
- DirectShow: responsible for the output of the total audio and video stream;
- DirectX Media Objects: Data encoding / decoding interface.
As you can see, DirectX responds to Windows Windows for almost all audio and video components, their processing, encoding / decoding and output. Without it, the user will not be able to run any game or an application on his PC or an application using three-dimensional graphic technologies.
Where to find information about the installed version of DirectX
There are two ways to find out which DirectX version is installed on the PC:
- through one of the Windows system tools;
- Using third-party software.
Consider both options.
To find out the version, using only internal Windows 10 tools, you need:
- Run the "task string" (Win + R keys) and enter the DXDIAG value.
- After pressing the OK button, the Diaptx Diagnostics Tool will open, where in the System tab, you can find information about the installed version.
You can get information about the installed version of DirectX using third-party software. To do this, use AIDA64 utilities, Astra32, GPU-Z, Sysinfo Detector, Hwinfo and others. Consider an example using the ASTRA32 utility (an actions algorithm for all listed programs similar, with some minimal differences).
- Go to the official website of the developer, then in the "Download" tab, where you click on the "Download Now" line.
- After the download is completed, run the utility, and then follow in the root directory on the "Astra32 / program / Windows" path, where information about the DirectX version will be available in the information window.
Video: How to find out the version of DirectX
Based on personal experience, the author of the article may advise to take advantage of one of the three most well-proven utilities: Astra32 (has both a portable version and installed, the interface is completely in Russian, the number of failures in operation is minimal), AIDA64 (gives deeper and detailed Information about all components of the PC, but takes a lot of space on HDD) and Hwinfo (very "light" utility, practically does not consume system resources, but is available only in English).
How to install / update DirectX
DirectX, like any other Windows 10 system component, is constantly being improved, so it periodically needs to be updated or re-installed.
To install DirectX "from scratch" you need:
- Go to the Microsoft website, in the "Download Center" tab, find and download the DirectX Web Installer.
- Download the installer, run it and accept the "License Agreement".
- Wait for the end of checking free space on the HDD system.
- As soon as the preparatory stage is completed, automatic download of the DirectX file library will begin.
- After the download is downloaded, the DirectX installation will begin.
- Finished, it remains only to restart the PC.
Video: How to install DirectX
If you have already installed DirectX, then it will take to update it:
- Press the "Start" button, open "Parameters" and select "Update and Security".
- Then go to the tab "Windows Update Center" tab and click on the "Checking for Updates" row.
- If the list of available updates shows a newer version of DirectX, the "update center" will automatically start downloading and installing library packet.
- After successful installation, restart the system.
Possible problems when installing DirectX on Windows 10
Consider the most common problems arising when installing DirectX.
Incompatibility of the version of DirectX libraries with Windows version
Microsoft Corporation regularly releases DirectX updates for each new version of Windows. Therefore, for example, when trying to install on Windows 10, the DirectX version below 11.3 users may appear a critical error.
To correct the problem, you will need to download from the official Microsoft website, the DirectX version suitable for your Windows OS.
Table: DIRECTX versions compatibility with different versions of Windows
From the table, it follows that the DIRECTX versions of 11.3 to 12.0 will be suitable for Windows 10.
DirectX installation failure (internal error)
During the installation of DirectX, a critical "Internal system error" may appear.
The reason for this error is most often a failure to access "administrative launch rights" . To solve the problem, follow these steps:
- In the Start menu, find and run the "Command Line" on behalf of the administrator.
- In the window that appears, do the CHKDSK value and press ENTER. Then enter the SFC / SCANNOW command and press ENTER again.
- After completing the process, close the "Command Line", Right-click on the DirectX installation file and select the "Startup on behalf of the administrator" option.
- Now the installation must pass without errors.
DirectX compatibility error with video card or its drivers
During the DirectX installation on Windows 10, the installer can also issue an error with a message about a conflict with a video card.
The reason for such a "conflict" can be either a mismatch of the model of your video card with the requirements of DirectX (for example, the absence of the 3D-accelerator of the DIRECTX 12 technology), or outdated device drivers . In the first case, you will need to install the DirectX previous version. In the second - update video card drivers.
- Right-click on the Start menu and select the Device Manager section.
- In the dispatcher window that opens, locate the "video adapter" string and click on it. Right click on your video adapter and in the context menu, click "Update Drivers".
- Select the option "Automatic Update Search".
- Wait for the search, download and install drivers, after which you restart the PC.
"Fatal Error" DirectX
The reason for such an error is a systematic compatibility failure between the DirectX libraries and the RAM of your PC.
To eliminate faults follows:
- Go to the "Start" menu, press the "Power" button and holding the SHIFT key, select the "Restart" option.
- After restarting the system, the "Download" window will appear, where you want to select №5 "Enable secure mode with downloading network drivers".
- After booting in "Safe Mode", install DirectX.
- Now you can boot in the usual Windows mode and without errors to re-install DirectX.
Delete DirectX on Windows 10
Unfortunately, in Windows 10, it is not possible to remove DirectX standard tools. . For this you will have to use third-party software. Below are the most common applications that can solve the DIRECTX removal task:
- DirectX Happy Uninstall is capable not only to delete DirectX from a computer, but also to restore it;
- DirectX Killer - In addition to the main files of the DirectX library, all its "traces" in the system registry also removes;
- DirectX Eradicator - does not require installation, intended solely to remove DirectX.
If you do not want to resort to third-party help, you still need to delete DirectX, then the author of the article may advise try to use the system recovery function (through the control panel - recovery panel) for the "rollback" of your OS to the factory settings. However, remember that you will remove not only DirectX from the PC, but also all the previously installed applications, drivers, games, etc.
DirectX is an indispensable tool for playing graphics and video in the Windows system. Thanks to him, users can easily run on their PC not only games, but also any applications that support the latest 3D technology. When installing DirectX, keep in mind that its version must be compatible with Windows version, and also remember: any error occurring during the installation process can be corrected.
(2 Votes, Average: 5 out of 5) Share with friends!